09 September 2008

So it really does happen

It's always interesting to chat with our neighbor, who is one of the town's EMTs (Neighbor, Recommended). One of their recent calls was to assist a woman who sat herself down on her toilet to take care of some routine business...and out came a baby instead! Splash!!! Quite understandably, this woman freaked and called 911. Not only did she not know that she was in labor, she had NO IDEA that she was pregnant.

I've heard such tales before, of course, but have always been half-tempted to dismiss them as urban myths. I can't do that in this case because 1)We ain't urban :) and 2)The eyewitness testimony is unimpeachable.

This got me thinking: if all the "I know someone who knew someone whose cousin-twice-removed didn't know she was pregnant until she gave birth" stories I've heard are actually true, this occurs with disturbing frequency. What gives? Anyone else have confirmed reports of the like?

Oh, and in this case, mom and baby (who was 6-some lbs) are apparently doing just fine, though undoubtedly both rather bewildered by the whole experience.

10 comments:

Jane said...

How? I can never figure that out.

Rebekah said...

I met someone once who did not know she was pregnant until she was at 7 months, and that seemed ridiculous to me.

Pr. H. R. said...

Well, I don't think I'm pregnant - but I'm a little worried now.

+HRC

Untamed Shrew said...

As one who carries to 42 weeks, gains at least 60 lbs despite exercise and healthy eating, and has a plethora of discomforts, I am insanely jealous!

Genuine Lustre said...

I can't imagine being that disconnected from my body.

Susan said...

As for how common this is, remember that only a gazillion people will be telling the story of this one lady. And she's only one person, no matter how many people might hear about it and pass on the story.

(We learned this on vicarage, when TWO --count 'em, TWO-- women would complain back and forth to each other about certain matters. Sometimes those two would complain to others who would not rudely and vociferously shut them up, which they then interpreted as agreement. And then the pastor and vicar would hear from those TWO how "everybody" was talking about being upset over something.)

D. said...

http://health.discovery.com/tv/i-didnt-know-i-was-pregnant/about.html

Discovery channel did a documentary about this.

Sandra Ostapowich said...

My grandmother knew she was pregnant with my father, but did not realize she was in labor. Dad didn't come all the way out while she was on the toilet, but she was stuck there for about an hour until Grandpa got back from his bowling night to get help.

That's why he has brown eyes. ;)

Anonymous said...

That would be the MOST embarassing birth story ever. "Well, Darling, the day you were born I went to the bathroom and..."

Reb. Mary said...

Ha and ha!

That documentary looks rather fascinating...gotta love the idea of reenactments, and particularly of the woman who went from zero to twins in a day or less...