31 July 2008

Nonsense of the Day

Since we're on the topic of poetry:

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
And the Monkeys all say Boo!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots Jibber Jabber Joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang!
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So it's Ning Nang Nong!
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning!
Trees go Ping!
The mice go Clang!
What a noisy place to belong,
Is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!

--Spike Mulligan

Now, there are doubtless those who will unjustly accuse me of posting this because it's stuck in my head and I want you to be stuck with it too. But give it a chance: read it aloud a few times, and see if you don't rather start to like it, especially when your two-year-old wanders about the house enthusiastically reciting his own version of it.

Hard-hitting lit? Um, not so much. But occasional silly poems and songs that feature a lively rhythm and foster a love of language? Hey, I'm cool with that. Keep those recommendations coming.

[Source: I came across this in a recent library snag, The Usborne Book of Poems for Young Children. (Book, moderately recommended: It's got some nice RL Stevenson and the like, but also some freaky ones like one about Queen Nefertiti's ghost haunting the town, which I personally find rather too frightening.)]

3 comments:

Consecutive Odds said...

The Jabberwoky is great literature and the language is silly... We're all Cabbages and Kings, after all...

Dawn said...

The Jabberwoky is The Boy's favorite and I must say I'm glad. It beats the unsanctioned nonsense hands down. ;)

We'll take a look at Spike for further quotable quotables. Thank you, kindly!

Rebekah said...

Hey, I remember this! It must have been in that mystic poetry book of my youth that I still haven't remembered to ask my mom about.