30 July 2008

Griping


Anyone ever tried this stuff?

Seems like the 4-month-old still has some kinks in his digestive system. So far as I can tell, his discomfort isn’t linked to my consumption of the usual suspects like dairy, chocolate, etc. And I know, I know: “there’s no ‘normal’” in terms of infant regularity, and “breastfed babies don’t get constipated.” Babies One and Two proved this rule in their own way: One saved everything up for a dramatic explosion or two each week, while Two cleared his system almost hourly. This guy, however, can’t seem to make up his mind. He’ll be moving things right along for a day or two, then take a day off. And on the days he’s not filling the diapers, he seems to writhe more and sleep less.

We tried simethicone drops briefly with One and Two, to no apparent effect. The doc just shrugged when we asked her whether they actually work or not (haven’t asked her about gripe water yet; just came across it the other day). I know that ginger and fennel have long been considered digestive soothers (in fact, my midwife-in-training SIL got me some ginger-based prenatal vitamins that were the only ones I could keep down last time around). So I thought I’d ask whether anyone out there has tried this stuff and to what effect. After all, our readers probably have more collective child-rearing experience than our GP :).

P.S. Ha! I have a new favorite typo. When I went to put the link in, I noticed the following on the site: "Wail a minimum of 30 minutes before repeating dosage, if necessary."

6 comments:

Pr. H. R. said...

Here you go, Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing [Opium] Syrup.
http://www.newbegin.com/html/medical_collectibles_32.html

Rebekah said...

I've heard of gripe water, but I really have no idea what it is.

Reflux is all the rage for other people's babies around here.

Dawn said...

We used Mylicon for Girl1, but I can't remember if we did so because it actually helped or just because it made me feel like I was helping.

Reb. Mary said...

The opium is for the parents, right?

Reflux is trendy around here too.

Rebekah said...

Mylicon! Yes! We also tried that our first time around, to inscrutable effect.

Anonymous said...

Nope have not tried the stuff.

My chiro told me when my boy was refluxing a little, for me take b-12 and this would help with absorption. It worked; as far as I know.