30 May 2012

Sweet!

Here’s something I was so glad to discover that I can’t believe I didn’t share it with y’all before now:

Last trimester, I was complaining to my favorite midwife-consultant (my very own sil) about my upcoming glucose challenge, and she said that they allow their patients to eat a 50-carb breakfast or to eat the equivalent in jelly beans in lieu of drinking that horrid, horrid glucola.

My small-town GP (who doubles as the town’s OB-GYN) rose immeasurably in my estimation when I floated this plan and she said, “Oh...right; I’ve heard of that…let me look up that equivalence for you.”

What I want to know is, why does anyone still have to choke down that nasty, nauseating orange stuff when there are perfectly good other options out there? Jelly Belly is totally dropping the ball by not jumping on this marketing niche.

 28 in 10 minutes? 
Now there's a challenge I know I can pass!

12 comments:

The Mama said...

Wow, is it really only 28? I could totally do that easier then that orange sludge of doom.

Cathy said...

What a good idea--I wish I had known this for my glucose tests.

greatgaunts said...

Yes! Sugar is sugar is sugar - finally this works in our favor!

JM said...

My midwife gave me jellybeans with my second baby (I couldn't keep the orange nastiness down with my first). Amazing.

Anonymous said...

oy. That stuff gave me such headaches. My pregnancy years are now long, long ago. But I'm glad you gals have such a yummy alternative to the most horrid and vomitous "Glucose Challenge".

This is fantastic.


Cynthia

Lucy said...

I must save this for next time. The "orange sludge of doom", as The Mama called it gives me the shivers every time!

K said...

i always get lemon-lime. i kind of like it...?? but i'd be delighted with a cup full of jellybeans.

Mary P said...

Aughhh! I just had my 27 week "glucose" ordeal 2 days ago and I sure wish I'd been able to eat jelly beans instead of having to gag down my sugary sugar sugar orange syrup. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

My midwife didn't make me take the test at all=) Marie

Emommy said...

This is headline-worthy news! Way to be out CNN and the Drudge Report!:)

Elizabeth said...

I get headaches when I have too much sugar at once and combine that with the coldness of the drink, and I'd much rather eat 28 jellybeans. THAT'S a headache worth getting! :)

Reb. Mary said...

Although sincerely grateful for the jellybean option, I do eagerly await the development of a chocolate equivalence...