01 February 2012

What to expect, Month four

The day arrives (especially if this is not your first pregnancy) when you go to bed with a paunchy little pooch and wake up with a full-blown baby belly.

As you contemplate this development with astonishment, it occurs to you that there might be twins in there. Twins! Or triplets! Triplets!!! What if there are triplets in there?! Forgetting all the statistics that you know, forsaking all rationality, you suddenly envision yourself trying to nurse triplets (!!!) whilst cooking supper for the rest of your clamoring young brood. Panicking, you can’t decide which is more daunting at this point in your career: the thought that there might be more than one baby in there, or the thought that your belly might just be that big already. You Google multiples, smile at the pictures of parents who’ve mastered the art of double-slinging babies, and choke on the price of the triple jogging stroller.

At your next doctor’s appointment, you tentatively raise the twin theory. Your doctor laughs at you, then recommends cutting back on both the flights of fancy and the carbs.

It’s awfully nice to know what to expect, at least.

It appears as though there are several of these in the oven.

12 comments:

pekoponian said...

It's always other people who think I'm having twins. I've had strangers follow me just to ask. They never seem to understand why I don't appreciate their interest.

Rebekah said...

:D

My doc got twin-nervous around me at my first appt for Baby 5 . . . nope, just fat.

Lucy said...

That's awesome! (in the, "I'm so glad I'm not alone." sort of way)

My Dr. this go round was so convinced that I was having twins that he started the ultrasound with, "...and there's the first..." I was unable to breathe until he finishing touring the remaining bits of my uterus. God's will be done, but yikes(!) the prospect is scary.

Dawn said...

I got that with number 5, too! Aw! Let's hug.

Marie said...

Thank you! My sis-in-law is due with her first in 2 weeks-- so she's 38 weeks. I am 22 weeks along, and went to her baby shower. She's got nothing on my size=)

MooreMama said...

Pshaw. I got that with Numbers One and Two. The Husband and I were in Lowe's the other day and saw a friend who is 38-ish weeks. She was the size I was at about 5 months (both times).
My Husband's words of consolation? "It's okay. Lots of women don't get as big as you did, but ... some ... get ... bigger."

Emommy said...

I love people's comments. When I was pushing 40 weeks, someone at church said I looked really small. Someone else said "There's got to be two in there." These two comments were said to me within five minutes of each other.

Reb. Mary said...

What a life, what a life ;)

mz said...

I had an u/s at 36 weeks with #2 since I was huge and baby was oddly positioned, where there could have been another hiding. Major freak out. Turned out to be a 10+ pound posterior boy. Phew.

Katy said...

"Turned out to be a 10+ pound posterior boy. Phew."

Hahaha. This made me laugh.

Louise said...

Here are 28+ weeks I just want a bite of those cinnamon rolls! :-)

Melrose said...

The comments on this post made me feel like a giggly girl at a sleep over with my best friends :)