16 February 2012

Please do not feel like you need to appreciate me


I've made some asides here before about how I don't get the whole clergy wife fetishism thing, but every once in a while it really hits home how much I don't get it. This parish owes me nothing. They called my husband, not me. I feel like I owe them for their willingness to call a married pastor. He is less available to them than a celibate pastor would be. They have also accepted the burden of providing a wage fair to a man with a family. They are the ones making the sacrifices. I cringe whenever one of these dear people apologizes to me for having called upon him in their need. That's why he's here.

Do not ever hesitate to call or to keep him as long as you need him. You gave me this great big house to keep me busy while he's gone. You are the ones who have given us this life which we love. You have adopted my children and me as friends and neighbors. Thank you. Thank you.

7 comments:

Emommy said...

SO well said. I often am overwhelmed by how much I will never, ever be able to adequately thank, much less repay, all of these wonderful people we know as our church family. That we (meaning us Olsons besides Pr.) give any of them anything of value is accidental and mere tuppence compared to what we get from them.

Reb. Mary said...

Yes, yes, and yes.
(But alas, I am weak, and still cannot help but cringe sometimes when the phone rings...I do not begrudge, but I do get tired.)

Cathy said...

What a gracious and edifying expression of your gratitude. I don't know how Lutheran congregations work--all the hiring, etc.--but I suspect the people in your congregation treat your husband as someone worthy of double honor. They know he preaches the Word that gives them life. But they also want to honor you, and be considerate of you, because you are a support and encouragement to him. Which frees him to do what he does for them... And they are very thankful to you for that.

Emily Cook said...

AMEN!!!

Elizabeth said...

I whole-heartedly agree! :)

Melrose said...

groan. :( repenting I am. Thanks for being such a great example and encouragement.

Aubri said...

Yes...I thank them everyday for that epidural with baby #4.