16 September 2009

Don't let anyone look down on you

because you love being a mom. Not every mom does. Many mothers labor primarily because they must, and honestly find little daily joy in it. They are making a long term investment, and they know it. They plug away.

But there are also women whose children are all their joy; to whom the four-toothed smiles and goofy games and wadded flowers are their days' sunshine. Blessed are you and your children. You are the kind of mom crusty rhinos like me wish we were. You are the kind of mom I wish my kids had. Thank you for the example you set in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. Don't let it get you down when all the crusty rhinos start snorting and bellowing. We think you're great, and you help us remember what we're aiming at.

Teach me your ways.

6 comments:

MooreMama said...

I wonder ... in a few months, when I am home all day with my offspring, if the four toothed smiles and goofy games will be as sunshiney as they are now, when I'm only with her a few hours a day. Will I start to take them for granted? Will they lose their charm? Will my skin start to toughen? Will I snort and bellow?

Dawn said...

I was totally thinking this just yesterday. I'm glad you said it. :)

MM: It's a day by day thing. Some days the mirror shows a rhino, some days an impala, some days one of those really big African slugs . . .

Dakotapam said...

Thanks for that! Most days I love love love being a mom, and then I feel bad for not being stressed out about it. Now being pregnant...that makes me cranky, and I so wish I could be a glowing mom who revels in the miracle growing inside her womb. Instead, I count down to the momhood of it all. Compared to pregnancy, washing poopy cloth diapers is a joy, trust me!

Melrose said...

Dakotapam, right on sista! Being a mom is crazy hard for sure, but my boys are so hilarious that if I'm grouchy it's usually because I'm trying to seperate my day and work from them. As soon as I put it down or include them, my day is full of laughter.

And then there's pregnancy...why can't I just enjoy it?! Instead I worry and dread labor, feel fat and want to scream or cry for no reason :( Lord have mercy on me for my sinful wussiness.

Rebekah said...

I like that part when they turn six.

Reb. Mary said...

Giant slug. Yes. :D

Every now and then I have a "good mom" moment and think, "Wow, some moms are like this on a regular basis!" :P