27 March 2009

D

BabyBoy pulled Mornings like This (Annie Dillard's book of found poems) off the shelf this morning. Of course I was unable to resist flipping through it before replacing it. The following, which Dillard culled from Charles H. Cugle's 1936 Practical Navigation, seems appropriate to the day:

Signals at sea

(If the flags in A's hoist cannot be made out, B keeps her answering pennant at the "Dip" and hoists the signal "OWL" or "WCX.")

CXL Do not abandon me.
A I am undergoing a speed trial.
D Keep clear of me--I am maneuvering with difficulty.
F I am disabled. Communicate with me.
G I require a pilot.

P Your lights are out, or burning badly.
U You are standing into danger.
X Stop carrying out your intentions.
K You should stop your vessel instantly.
L You should stop. I have something important to communicate.

R You may feel your way past me.

Can you hear me now?

2 comments:

Reb. Mary said...

Hmm. Poetically speaking, there's supposed to be more space between the letters and the words. But I'm too far asea to fix it at the moment ;P

Rebekah said...

HA!