06 October 2010

Usage you can use: RSVP

RSVP, as one may learn in Paddington Takes the Air, stands for the French expression "répondez, s'il vous plaît", meaning "please reply." This means that it is redundant to say "Please RSVP."

Incorrect: Cocktails at my house Friday at 8. Please RSVP.
(In fact cocktails are always served at my house on Friday at 3, and I already said please.)

Correct. CSPP conference on Monday the 11th. RSVP.
(In fact there is a conference and if you're coming we'd like to reserve you a spot, so let us know. While we're on the topic, let me mention again that this is mostly a glorified playdate for any mom and kids who otherwise plan to be bored that day. I will not be counting children and making personal judgments on the basis of my accounting on that day. Or any day, as I have attempted many times to explain.)

10 comments:

Reb. Mary said...

I can vouch for the cocktails, and I could really use one right about now, since I'm sad about being unable to attend the conference. ;P

Leah said...

Cocktails at 3?! Hmmm, all the more motivation for us to come out there and meet you guys!

Untamed Shrew said...

When Rebekah runs out of hooch, I know where to find her secret chocolate stash.

Rebekah said...

Every Friday, folks. RSVP.

Unfortunately my chocolate is dangerously visible right now, on top of the microwave.

MooreMama said...

I wish. cocktails, chocolate, glorified playdates, meeting up with otherwise bored friends. I wish for all of it.

Leah said...

MooreMama,

It does sound lovely, doesn't it? The very thing missing from my life. (Mostly the glorified playdates and meeting up with bored friends, lest anyone fear I'm a wishful alcoholic.)

MooreMama said...

I could probably find someone local. But I don't think that I'd like them nearly as much as Gauntlets and crew.

Megan173 said...

I'm not really a CSPP, but I certainly would love to hang out with you guys. I think we need a Fan Club on the West Coast.

Leah said...

Megan173 - I'm in for the fan club. I'm up in Washington State. Where are you?

Megan173 said...

Drat Leah, I'm down close to Fresno. However next summer I'm planning an extended trip up to the Portland area, as in probably the entire month of July, or maybe August.