15 August 2012

Usage you can use: O[h]


Anyone familiar with hymns has an advantage in knowing "O" from "Oh". The hymn-literate person may have an intuitive descriptive understanding of this.

"O" introduces a direct address (for fancy types, the vocative case):

I am very tired of swimming about here, O Mouse!

O dearest Jesus, what law hast Thou broken?

O Kitchen! my kitchen!

"Oh" is an interjection.

Oh, I'm not particular as to size.

Oh, that I had a thousand voices to praise my God with thousand tongues!

--but oh! We were all such earnest students!



The O- section of the first line index of LSB is a helpful diagnostic resource. Then for fun, compare it with TLH's. ;)


Oh, who cares?

2 comments:

Untamed Shrew said...

I've noticed the same discrepancy from TLH to LSB. Not to mention the errata in musical notation.

Cathy said...

Knowing the difference between O and oh is another benefit of being a hymn literate person.