22 October 2009

Force times distance

Polite people ask, "Does she work outside the home?" as opposed to, "Does she work?" We all know in these enlightened, non-judgmental times that women who stay home work just as much as everyone else (wink, wink).

I recently heard my favorite pastor respond to this polite usage by saying, "You don't have to say that. Women who stay home don't work, they serve." Semantics, I know--and yes, Newton would describe what we do as work, and we've all got the sore feet or backs or round ligaments to prove it. But I appreciate it anyway. I'm not anybody's office slave, I don't answer to a board, and I don't agonize over whether I'm on the downsize list or if I should be asking for a raise to prove how valuable I know I am. The better I do at what I'm doing, the better my family is served. Some days that only means everybody eats food and wears weather-appropriate clothing, and some days I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I manage to pull off. And the other people who live here just keep loving me every day the same.

7 comments:

Untamed Shrew said...

"...some days I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I manage to pull off."

Ummm...waiting for one of those days.

Reb. Mary said...

I like this post. :)

Melrose said...

me too :)

Rebekah said...

Shrew, they don't happen often. :P

The Mama said...

And never when there is unexpected company.

Anonymous said...

A good reminder that we are serving our Lord in caring (serving) for our family. What we can't and don't accomplish He does. Love, food and clothes- sounds like you are doing a great job serving. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23,24 - Debbie

Dakotapam said...

I told the kids this morning that I only have three more days of work outside home over the next two weeks. The youngest leapt for joy. I have never been more thankful for this pregnancy to remind me where I really need to be.

Shrew...you accomplish more than you give yourself credit for, I've been a most welcome and comfortable guest in your home!