31 October 2007

Nomenclature

I've always thought that the Jews and the Amish are onto something in having a term that means "everybody but us" (goy/Gentile and English, respectively). I've often wanted one a little less cumbersome than "non-Lutheran," for example. And for our specific purposes, "contraceptor" or some other less savory options I've heard don't really strike me as something I want in my regular vocabulary.

As a solution, we've discussed in our household using the term "Sulvan" to designate the folks who just don't want to have babies, God bless 'em, from the third book of CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. Sulva is the name of the moon in the book, and its inhabitants have succeeded in making life almost entirely inorganic (and much more convenient as a result, of course). Later in the book you learn that some characters have botched up the solution to a pressing problem by using contraception and not having the baby who was supposed to fix things (see part of the discussion at the bottom of this post). Someone makes a comment about such behavior being a practice of Sulva. So there you have it: Sulvan. May it be as useful for you as it is for me.

7 comments:

Reb. Mary said...

I think this has potential. And I think I'll have to re-read the trilogy (again). Actually I think I've only been through That Hideous Strength once.

Any idea whether a mainstream sci-fi devotee would appreciate the trilogy? I haven't read much in the genre, but have a relative who does, and i'm thinking of Christmas present ideas here.

Dawn said...

Oh yeah . . . Space Trilogy. I remember those! I remember liking those! I wonder where my copies got to . . .

Good point on "Sulvan." I'll pass it on and see if it sticks. :)

Rebekah said...

I generally think that sci fi gets away with pretty lousy writing if the premise is cool enough (eg Stranger In a Strange Land, Dune, that awful third book in the I Robot series, etc). It seems to me like the trilogy would go over pretty well with someone who likes sci fi as it's both an interesting idea and really well written, unlike much of the rest of the genre.

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I just found this blog!
I never saw the other one you reference here before, either.

Well, I guess I am a "Sulvan". Although maybe some of us Sulvans wish we weren't Sulvans. But, I guess we all have our problems. It's a strange situation, when one has come into faith later as an adult, already married, with a husband that came "fixed". Maybe coming to faith earlier in my life would have changed me, who knows.

I like your sense of humor on here, though. You gals are strong in your faith. God bless you and your families.

Rebekah said...

Hi, LL--If converting from Sulvan to CSPP seems rough, I've still got nothing on you! Thanks for sharing your story (http://www.wordandsacrament.com/Stories/BeyondStars.html).

As for your sitch, such is life in this fallen world. God catches us in his calls to various repentances in his time. I can wish I didn't have any Sulvan years on my own books, but I've heard his Absolution proclaim that he doesn't have them on his, and I do my best to take him at that Word. Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Reb. Mary said...

Hi LL-

Wow, neat story.
I've got some Sulvan years on my books too. In fact, some dark days I'm afraid I still may be more Sulvan than CSPP, in thought if not in action!

Thank God that he's not content to leave us where we are, but gives us each the grace we need to accomplish his purposes in our lives. And it sounds like he's given you a lot of grace to come a long way, already!

Glad to have you in the Christian/Concordian fold!
Stop by anytime :)

Lutheran Lucciola said...

Thanks, Rebekah and Mary!

Yeah, His grace is very important to me. I wouldn't be anything without it. I am almost exhausted with this ride I have been on for four years, sometimes I ask God to just slow it down a bit, so I can breathe.

Lately, I have felt bad that I have no desire to have kids, and most likely won't. Well, most definitely won't unless, God decides to do some really amazing intervention.
I feel bad for letting God down, in a way. But He knows me, and knows where I have come from, and I'm thinking it's pretty obvious He's using me in ways around that. If I had kids, I couldn't go hang with the "unusual people" as much as I do, and be there with them. I would be home much more of the time.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this posting of yours come to a screaching, depressing halt! I just had this all touch me lately.

I will stop by again, thank you!