17 September 2012

Indelible character

After a acquiring a some comparatively high number of kids, one becomes a character. I consider this a benefit. It saves the public from my personality and makes socializing easy. All I have to do is be Mrs. Sowerby, Mrs. Quiverful, Mrs. Pike, Mrs. Weasley, Mrs. McBroom, Mrs. Gilbreth, etc. I don't have to have any other interests or features. The plot lines and conversations are all about the number of children I have and what my life must be like in that context. Straightforward, if occasionally a little embarrassing when one of those jokey characters shows up. Also mostly true.

4 comments:

pekoponian said...

My husband and I have referred to ourselves as the Weasleys for some time now.

Lucy said...

The only problem with this is that if ever in a situation where the number of children is not known, I am at a complete loss for topics, especially since I am badly out of practice of talking of anything but the numbers and how on earth I do it.

Cathy said...

Funny.

Reb. Mary said...

At first my tired eyes read "inedible character." :D

The sheer number of kids also has the benefit of getting me out of certain situations where socializing might be awkward. Everyone knows I'm too tied up to be able to attend (especially if it's a thing where Dad's attendance is required). And you know, sometimes it's nice to have an excuse....