31 May 2011

Book, recommended (for those who feel led to read it...)

One of Rebekah’s not-so-recent-anymore posts made me get really serious about getting serious about reviewing a book that I enjoyed awhile back: Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will.

As it turns out, I’m still not serious enough to write anything resembling a review, but that’s no reason for you not to read the book, so you might as well just click your way over to Amazon, flip through the preview pages, and then go ahead and beg, borrow, or buy it. If you feel so moved. ;) Or if you really want a review, you can read Tim Challies’ over there on Amazon. (You know Tim Challies, right? As the resident quasi-Protestantesque-evangelicalish (yet ever catholic) Concordian Sister, I feel that it’s my duty to more or less keep up with some of those dudes ;) )

I’m sure that the indecisiveness of which DeYoung writes plagues none of our dear readers, but this volume is a worthwhile read, fun at times, and its quick readability might make it a handy addition to your pastor’s lending library.

Honestly, the subtitle alone is worth the price of admission, and a review in itself: Or, How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, etc.

:D

P.S. Incidentally, “Just Do Something” is a great rallying cry to rouse oneself out of a rut in homeschooling, housekeeping, cooking, childrearing…

5 comments:

Emily Cook said...

I really have found such a peace about visiting your blog frequently :)

Leah said...

I’m still not serious enough to write anything resembling a review,

Hey, you're ahead of me. I haven't had enough brain energy to get serious enough to write anything lately.

"Just doing something" just about sums up my home life right now, because I'm not yet organized enough to do anything else. Does that make any sense? (See why I don't have many thoughtful posts these days...)

Elizabeth said...

Sweet! I am SO adding this to my list of things to read. Is it available for kindle?

Reb. Mary said...

Emily, ;)

Leah, "just do something" is my plan for the forseeable future, and I don't have nearly as recent or as many excuses (aka kids :D) as you.

Elizabeth, I do believe so.

Anonymous said...

This is great. Thank you. I've purchased my paperback copy. Keep the book reviews coming.