13 April 2011

Vigil till the Morning New

Sad post. :(

So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great.

They are always with us. The peculiar gap in a family's "normal" time frame; the day that can never be all the way happy again; the baby the others remember and sometimes ask about; the lady whose story everyone knows and no one mentions. Always here because, however briefly, they were once.

Friends, I remember. My dear D and her baby T, my dear R and her baby B; my great-great aunt and her only baby who died at the hands of a birth attendant; Bathsheba and her doomed son; Jerusalem's Rachels and their Holy Innocents; every story I happened to hear and can never forget.

What word could help all of you? None could be right. But I sit with you always across time and space, for I see that your grief is very great. My heart aches and even now I weep for you. Easter is coming.