What to do with that pile of sloppy joe that’s not quite big enough to freeze for another round of sandwiches:
1) Bake some potatoes. Halve lengthwise; scoop out insides and mash with plain yogurt, or sour cream and butter if you’re feeling decadent. Salt to taste.
2) Fill skins with a few spoonfuls of warm meat, then mashed potatoes. Top with shredded cheese and bake just a few minutes till cheese is melted.
3) Add masts (asparagus if ’tis the season).
4) Christen them potato schooners, cheeseburger boats, whatever your kids are most likely to eat. Throw in a maritime quiz: Is this a sloop? A yawl? A ketch?
5) Feel so pleased with yourself* that you let everyone add his own whipped cream to the strawberries when the dessert cart comes out.
*Even if you can’t take full credit for the creative moment…this recipe inspired me.