09 August 2011

OK. But, why?

Baby clothes with words on them. Words like, "cutie pie," or "Daddy's biggest fan," or "Mommy's perfect pumpkin." Perhaps these little epithets are necessary because I would not otherwise notice how very like pie, or how windy, or how gourd-shaped the wearer is. Or perhaps they are prophecies? Or imperatives! Yes! Go! Pie!

I just know these are things I am expected to understand in order to be a good mother. Alas, I have the dumb.

Except the ones I'm wearing, of course.

5 comments:

Jody S. said...

I think it's called wishful thinking.

Cheryl said...

Jody, ROFLOL!

Melrose said...

My favorites are the ones that say things like "milk addict" with images of spit up on them. Why??? Do I really need to draw more attention to myself than already is drawn as a newborn roots towards my chest every 30 min? :p

Rebekah said...

I have more than once thanked God for having provided so well for us that if a shirt with some stupid expression on it comes my way, I don't have to keep it for my kid.

mz said...

I must have the dumb too. I went to buy my little guy some onesies at Target at walked out empty handed because every piece of clothing in his size was positively asinine and/or polyester.

Also, I wanted to thank you for the wrap and the chocolate. Your note made a crazy postpartum lady smile. Still working on the crazies 5 months later, but that is apparently the way the cookie crumbles for me.