13 December 2007

Happy Santa Lucia

Most people wouldn't guess it by looking at me, but some of the most recent ethnic influences on both sides of my family tree are old country Swedes. I get a kick out of observing some of the traditions they brought with them, and reviving a few of the Christian ones that they, mostly heathen, didn't. The babies and I really like to make Lussekatter, or St Lucy Buns, to observe Santa Lucia. We haven't had a truly authentic celebration yet as a 4-year-old with a lighted candle wreath on her head seems ill-conceived, but maybe someday. Here's a description from my great grandma's cookbook, and check the CSPP cooks link for a recipe (listed under Breads--saffron is pricey, but you only have to use it once a year, and I always skip the cardamom):

This is the first day of the Christmas season that lussekatter, saffron flavored bread, is served. In families, the first piece is served by the oldest daughter, who wears on her head a wreath with the lighted candles in it. This festive day heralds the beginning of the holiday season. The saffron-flavored bread is a specialty for Christmas. Celebrations with great foods abound from Christmas Eve to the 20 days after Christmas. Glogg is the beverage of the season.



4 comments:

Rosie said...

More glogg, please!

Reb. Mary said...

But what's a daughter-less family to do?! :P
LOL to think of your 4 yr old in candles.
I haven't even gotten to hold a candle in a Christmas Eve service for several years; has anyone figured out how to manage that one yet? (Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful just to be able to attend, as our church's service has traditionally been at 7 rather than a midnight mass).

Reb. Mary said...

Just googled glogg (say that 5 times fast) and now I'm sorry I did...will have to file that for next year. Sounds pretty cheery!

Rebekah said...

More sleepy than cheery in my experience--but a nice, warm, cheery sleepy. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

I'll loan you one of our bun-servers as we've got a surplus, although the older one says she doesn't think she'll really be in the market for an official observance until she's 10.