22 November 2011

A story about a story

Katie sent me a heads up a few weeks ago about a short fiction contest from Lulu. My natural inclination was to say that I can't write fiction.

But then I saw that one of the prizes was a Nook. And I would really like a Nook because then I could give it to my kid for Christmas and she could stop stealing my Kindle (can you get tons of free old-timey kid books on Nook like you can on Kindle?).

So back to not being able to write fiction: I got to thinking and realized I'd just written up my birth story for the benefit of myself and the boredom of a few friends and relatives. Contest stories only had to be 600 words long. I could write 6000 words about making lunch yesterday and it, like much of my life, would sound ridiculously fictional.

So I did some editing and published that silly thing on Lulu. It is an EPUB. I have no idea what this means except that I can't read it on my Kindle (I guess it can be read on a Nook, which is great because the only person I know with a Nook is Gauntlets and she's already read it). I don't know if it's done properly because I couldn't figure out how to preview it. I wanted to charge about $0.04 for it but then I learned I'd have to charge a dollar to turn a profit of one bright zinc-y penny. At the end, I got a message that said, "Your story has successfully be submitted." I thought that sounded really promising.

So if you'd like to pay $1 for the privilege of attempting to read an unpreviewed EPUB of my most recent birth story (oh yeah, it's a birth story--ew! Don't worry, though; it's just about the human condition), here's your big chance. Only 9900 zinc-y pennies and I'll be able to buy a Nook like suckers who would never win that dang contest anyway. Or a Kindle!

So.

8 comments:

MooreMama said...

I would love to read it, I'd even pay TWO dollars. But I don't have any of that new-fangledness. :(

HappyFox said...

I haven't tried the program yet, but Calibre will convert epubs to Kindle format.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

Gauntlets said...

You can read epub documents on your plain old computer with Adobe Digital Editions. Do it, Rockapella.

Anonymous said...

What, you didn't get "any guns in the home?"

Leah said...

Wow. Could I just mail you the zinc-y pennies? I've got too many of them in the junk drawer right now. Just kidding. I'd trade a whole drawer of them to hear your stories any day though. :P

Rebekah said...

10-4, everybody. Anon, I think Dad fielded that one while I was in the bathroom.

MooreMama said...

Awesome. Can I buy you a new pair of socks?

Mary P said...

Wow - after that I'd say you deserve all the $1 story purchases you can get! I've been following your blog for a while but am just now starting to be a "commentor" on blogs. I appreciate all the practical and humorour encouragement you give on this blog :-) Thanks!