03 October 2009

You can think about that until Saturday night

I've always got songs stuck in my head, but ever since Dr. Seuss became a big part of my life again, I find the same thing can happen with rhymes. I wake up in the middle of the night to my brain rumbling, . . . had to pick a peck of Snide/In a dark and gloomy Snide-field that was almost nine miles wide . . . . If I were ever called upon to perform extemporaneously in a talent show, I'd just get up and recite The Cat In the Hat without the merest pang of anxiety. One Fish Two Fish, though--tricky. Too episodic.

Why is it?

6 comments:

William Weedon said...

I must confess that I totally love Dr. Seuss. A person's a person, no matter how small.

Rebekah said...

I really like the one about the empty pants. And Mrs McCave, also in the Sneetches volume, seems like a real catholic gal.

lisa said...

I have to admit the Seuss illustrations creep me out. :( Maybe I'm missing out?

Sir Cuthbert said...

It's been more than twelve years since I read Dr. Suess's books to my little brother (he's not little anymore). They still get stuck in my head. Isn't that an encouraging thought?

Rebekah said...

Sir Cuthbert, NO! :D

Lisa, they are an acquired taste. I'll never like the fish with the checkerboard belly.

Jane said...

My youngest child is almost 14 and I can still recite The Lorax from beginning to end. I'm pretty good with Green Eggs and Ham, too.